Tuesday, June 28, 2016

What a Hole

Went to Jackson Hole, which is around Grand Teton National Park.  Tourists everywhere.  No wonder I could not get a room.  This place was overwhelmed by the number of people in town.  Population is small, and set up for the tourists.  Tons of small shops, restaurants, etc. 
  The public square.  All 4 entrances are made up of antler arcs.  Very impressive.

  Earlier blog posts talked about me and snakes.  While this is not a picture of my raft, I did go white water rafting down the Snake River with an outfit based in Jackson Hole.  This trip went through Grand Teton National Park.  I have gone white water rafting in West Virginia and Pennsylvania before.  I had heard it was even better out west.  This trip was only class II and III rapids.  I have done class IV before.  This was very pedestrian, although highly enjoyable.  I did flip out of the raft to go for a swim in the river.  Too COLD!  I did not last long and came right back in after 30 seconds.  Only the guide and 1 other in the raft dared going in.  Best part of the trip was we did NOT have to carry the raft back up to the truck afterwards as I remembered from previous trips in the east.  It was a beautiful da on the river, got wet, and had fun.  Unfortunately, my wet suit (and booties, which was an excellent decision) cut off a few inches above the knees.  I did not put enough lotion on and got a sunburn from 3 inches above each knee to my ankles.



1 comment: