Sunday, June 12, 2016

Day 4 R & R in Minneapolis

Not that I should have needed it, but day 4 was used for R & R.  The first and third days were hectic with lots of driving, which I will need to get used to.  With the trip expected to be 15,000 miles in 72 days, I will need to average 210 miles a day, every day.  I will be lucky to average 60 miles per hour (likely closer to 50 mph).  At 60 mph, that means 3 1/3 hours of driving every day.  At  52 mph, 4 hours a day.  I had stayed at Nick P. on Thursday (and also on Friday nite).  When we finally got moving on Friday, we went to not 1, but 2 card shops.  The first shop was not much, although a gent walked in with some stuff to sell, and I was able to let him and the shop owner know one item was a 1950s Bill Zuber Postcard (version 1).  Of course, these are on my wantlist, but I need version 2.   The second shop had more vintage, and 2 owners (Rob and Mark) who liked to talk cards, sports and life.  Nick knew then well.  While there, Kurt Tourdot called to speak to Rob.  Rob handed the phone to Nick, who handed the phone to me.  Kurt guessed my voice almost immediately.  While it was already mid-afternoon, with storm threatening skies by the time we left, I told nick I could not spend an entire day in the area, without doing something "touristy".  We initially headed off to a science center, although traffic was heavy.  I then remembered Nick had mentioned Minnehaha Falls as I was planning my trip.  Nick said that would be better than the science center.  Nick had only been there once before.  We walked through the woods, then down numerous steps, walked along a trail, crossed a bridge and eventually made it to the falls.  We then had to walk back.  By the time we ascended the NUMEROUS steps to get back up top, and to the car, we were both winded.  I thought Nick might stroke out.  Fortunately, we had some waters in the car, which quickly disappeared.  We ended up meeting Kate, Nick's best half, at nick's fav burger place, which included free popcorn.  Later Nick and I went to Mall of America, then picked Kate back up at the house and went for frozen yogurt.  Very relaxing, picked up some cards, saw a tourist site, and had good eats.  Nick continued to be exceedingly generous.  He had already got us great seats at the ballgame on Thursday, but then I had to fight him to even get the brunch tab on Friday.  As for Kate, is it just OBC and my group of friends, that the guys marry way up???  It is similar to the comment that was related to me when someone found out I am now seeing Abby.  "She's dating Mike???  Why?"  Saturday is leaving for Iowa and the Field of Dreams.

1 comment: