Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Day 1

   The trip has started.  I got lucky with a perfect day for driving.  Temp in the mid 60s and overcast.  Made it to Chicago uneventfully and was able to meet up with my first buddy on the trip, George Vrechek.  I had almost decided to postpone going to my first ballpark for  day, due to the US playing Costa Rica in the Copa America tournament (Soccer) at Soldier Field.  On the way to George's, I drove right past Soldier Field.  I passed on that and after George showed me some of his collection (he has a few cards, I could not identify the set), we headed to the ballpark (US Cellular Field).   I almost forgot mention that George let me snitch a 1976 Shakey's card from an album to get me down to 4 to complete that set.  he also handed me a few 1936 German Olympic cards, and explained to me what a huge set they are.  I do have some, but I cannot read German, so not really sure what I have on those.  He also handed me some recent White Sox card hand-outs from a game he went to.
   George beat me to paying for the parking (Thank You George!), and then we met up
 with TJ Valacak.  It was great to see TJ out and about again.  I got a pic taken of me near the old Comiskey Park home plate (I will try to post later) and then purchased tickets in the corners.  Cheapest tickets in the lower deck, as they do not let folks with upper deck tickets downstairs.  We walked the park and they have a nice selection of food.  Excellent statues, although the wording on Aparicio's is  a bit tough to read and may need to be re-done.  We found some seats near home plate, and enjoyed the entire game from there.  George & TJ got food earlier than I did.  George's Italian Beef sandwich looked so good, I got myself one, sans peppers.  Excellent sandwich, although the workers were extremely sssslllloooowww.  US Cellular also offers the designated driver program with a free drink.  The size was the largest I have seen for this program, and with the 1 bottle of water each we were allowed to bring in, we had plenty of fluids.  The game itself, was no master piece.  Both starting pitchers walked numerous batters and there was lots of scoring.  Washington rallied for a 10 -5 victory.  Meanwhile, I was also scoreboard watching and my Tigers rallied to tie the game in the bottom of the 9th, before defeating Toronto in the 10th 3-2!  George left early to take public transportation home and TJ and I stayed for the entire 4 hour game!  Sorry TJ.  We were among the 17 people left when the game ended.  I then followed TJ back to his house.  he proceeded to show me some o his collection, including an item he is saving for the 2017 National in Chicago to tantalize some of the folks with.  TJ also handed me a few horse cards that I believe is from a British issue that I am not currently familiar with.  They are an unusual size, in that they are longer than the traditional 1920s era cigarette inserts.  Great accommodations, with an extremely comfortable bed where I fell immediately to sleep followed by TJ making me scrambled eggs for breakfast.  Definitely recommend this establishment to travelers!
   Later this morning I will head to Milwaukee for the Brewers game.  The folks I had hoped were going to join me for the game, are not able to, so I will do this one myself :(.  I also checked upcoming weather reports and I am headed for an extreme heatwave by Friday.  Sunday's plan to go to Peoria is likely out, as I do not see myself going alone to a minor league game in 99 degree heat.  It is also suppose to be in the mid to upper 90s throughout next week in St. Louis, Kansas city and Kansas.  Good thing I purchased the Science Center membership, as I will look to escape the heat by going to some Science Museums. 

1 comment:

  1. Great 1st day Mike! Streaming the Doobie Brothers and Boston I assume?
    Guru

    ReplyDelete