Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Oregon(e)

Oregon has come and gone.  I only spent the nite there in Pendleton.  I have to say that was the worst place I have stayed in so far.  A Knights Inn that was so bad, I ended up calling Wyndam Properties and telling them they need to cancel this franchisee.  I also contacted the local Building Department and asked them to inspect the facility for possible condemnation due to safety issues!  That may color my opinion of the state, which previously I had heard very good things about.  Other than having cheaper gas than Washington, I found nothing good to say about Oregon.  I was only in the northeast corner of the state, but found nothing to do or stop at that was worthwhile.  I will be passing through the western part of the state when I leave Seattle for California.
As I have been doing, I try to break up my driving, by finding spots to stop at along the way.  If possible I try to not drive more than 3 hours without stopping.  Pendleton and Seattle is a 4 hour 41 minute trip, but Yakima, WA is almost 1/2 way.  The tour guide lists the Hillside Desert Botanical Gardens.  Excellent a place to get out and stretch the legs before continuing to Seattle.

  My GPS took me to a cul-de-sac on a dirt road.  I called the phone number in the guide book and a guy answers.  I tell him I am lost and he asks me if I am driving a greenish car.  When I answer yes, he wells me to park next to the red truck and he would be right out.
  The owner. He has greenhouses in his backyard.  It is dedicated to cacti.  Nice guy.  Only the plants were prickly.
  I did not see the sign, because the backyard gate was open. 

Finally made it to Seattle late in the afternoon, but did not get to any sites before they closed for the day.  I hope to see some of Seattle on Wednesday and Thursday before the ballgame.
While I have been roasted by the extreme heat previously, temps are now expected to be in the 70s in Seattle and into the Bay area for the next week.  Hopefully I will not jinx it by saying that I have not had to use my windshield wipers on the trip yet (that I can remember).  Minimal chances of rain on the 10 day weather forecast where I will be.  Meanwhile, The Colorado Rockies, whom I saw last Thursday, had their game delayed last nite by 2 hours 41 minutes due to a rain and hail storm.  Even their dugout got flooded out.  I have been blessed with how things have gone so far, even with the horrible motel on Monday.  Except for my baseball card purchases, I have stayed within my budget for the trip.  Only 7 weeks left on the trip.  It is going too quickly.






6 comments:

  1. Hmmmm doesn't seem like it's going too quickly for me ; )
    But REALLY, enjoy!!! : )

    XXX
    OOO
    Abby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mike: Please get up off your wallet and stop staying at these flea-infested motels.
    Signed
    The Whole World

    ReplyDelete
  3. Supporting OBC-condition hotels seems like a noble gesture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol ...totally busted a gut on this one!!!

      Delete
  4. Staying at flea bag hotels allows you to increase your card budget--a modest trade off

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know Mike, if you stay out of those tour books for a night or two now and then, and instead try a place that you can find listed in those guides from a grocery store or the gas station and I bet you could knock the price down even more, providing yet even more cash for the world card shop tour side of your trip.

      ...you're right Hoot, a very modest trade off! ...keep those priorities in order...

      Delete