Monday, June 13, 2016

Day 6 Honest, I am having a great time on this trip

The original plan for Sunday, Day 6 was to go to a Ulysses Grant site in Galena, IL and then go down to Peoria for a Peoria Chiefs game at 5:00.  There is a heat wave in the upper midwest and temps have been in the 90s.  I melted at the Field of Dreams, so instead of staying overnight in Dubuque, I headed south and stayed in Davenport, IA.  A thunder and lightning storm hit in the morning, but by the time I got done with my second plate of waffles (what is it about motel waffles that I love so much???), it had slowed down and had virtually stopped raining when I loaded the car.  I headed to do a day of "Lincoln".  I went to 4 different Lincoln sites, in 3 different cities highlighted by the Lincoln New Salem Historic site, Lincoln's Home and the Lincoln Tomb sites.
New Salem, is a mainly a recreation of how it looked when Lincoln lived there.  Reminds me of Greenfield Village.
Abe's bed in the only house Lincoln ever owned.
Near Lincoln's home.  The 2 most honest guys you will ever know.
Superstition is it is good luck to run Abe's nose outside his tomb.  You can see how many people have done that by the different coloring from all the rubbing.  Soldier's have done it to "ensure their safe return".  I am not taking any chances, and took my turn.
Had enough for 1 day and headed to Aaron Shirley's in Centralia, IL for the nite.  Next up, St. Louis for 3 days.




4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're seeing such great sights!
    I can't wait to see you next weekend!
    XXX OOO
    Abby

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike, you are supposed to rub Abe's nose, not empty its contents! Make sure you wipe your finger on your shorts. Abby, make sure Mike washes his hands before you shake them. He has suddenly developed a nose fetish during your time apart.
    Rock

    ReplyDelete