Thursday, June 9, 2016

Day 2 Milwaukee

Day 2 got off to a great start and stayed that way the whole day.  After TJ made me some scrambled eggs that not only did I find delicious, but were made to my mother's exacting standards of not a speck of brown on them.  George Vrechek had urged me to check out AU Sports on my way out of town.  George knows my collection and if thought it would be a good card store for me, then I had to check it out.  Timed it rather well.  They opened at 11:00 and I arrived around 11:10.  Within 5 minutes, I had to go out to the car to get the infamous Mike Rich Baseball Card Briefcase.  This contains all my checklists, is generally bursting at the seams and is about 40+ years old.  I take it to all card shows and it has become quite infamous in card circles.  I had the staff pulling out entire showcases of cards for my perusal.  I did find a few items I needed, an upgrade of Mark Talbot's HOMer (1964 Topps Stand-Up of Norm Cash), at reasonable prices.  I They pulled boxes down from top shelfs, where a step stool/ladder was needed and they found things even they did not know they had.  I also noticed a stack of postcard size cards, just sitting on a shelf.  This needed investigation.  Turns out they were mainly 1973-1975 TCMA cards.  These are among my fav items, as the catalog books do not even have all the sets listed.  They were a little beat up.  I asked how much for the stack.  They had to phone the boss and said $30.  I then found a few more of them in the boxes from the top shelf.  They included those as well.  Turns out over 70 of them, and I later negotiated a discount on my overall purchase.  This may only have only my 3rd fav purchase from them.  I was able to pick-up the last 2 1934-36 Batter-Up low #s I needed, including Roger Hornsby!  That was the most expensive item I got.  As part of the purchase, I told them I would need to use the facilities before hitting the road to leave the state.  This was a true men's bathroom at a "guy store".  Even by my lack of standards, this was pretty bad.  However, they had various posters hanging on the restroom wall.  I then notice a slightly ripped 1969 Tasco All Star Caricature Poster of Ken Holtzman.  I walk back out front laughing.  I told them I was interested in something hanging on the restroom wall.  They are absolutely amazed.  "This guy is interested in something from our bathroom!!!"  I ask them how much.  They go in back to check the condition.  He comes out with it, and says if you actually want it, you can have it!  By this time everyone in the store is roaring.  I buy a 1934 Batter-Up Roger Hornsby and then take a ripped poster from a bathroom wall.  Truly an eclectic collection. 
This side trip delays my going to Milwaukee until after 12:15.  I coordinate with former OBCer and current VCTer, Phil C (I am not going to try to spell his last name).  He suggests a place to get a burger and custard for  a late lunch.  We meet up at the Nite Owl.  Think of an old-fashioned Dairy Queen, with better food.  Phil graciously picked up the tab.  Made me even happier that I had brought him a card handshake (among OBCers, it is not uncommon to greet someone with a small "gift" of baseball cards they may enjoy, known as a handshake).  Phil had a funeral to attend last nite, so he could not join me for the game.  He made some suggestions what I could do with the rest of my afternoon.  Upon hearing I had a Science Center membership, which allows free admission to numerous museums throughout North America, he views the list, and suggests the Milwaukee Public Museum.  I drive the 25 minutes to get there, and have just an hour to check it out.  The Science Center membership is already paying off, as normal admission is $17.  Never would have paid that for just a 1 hour visit.  Meanwhile, I check out the Old Streets of Milwaukee, as Phil suggested.  Reminds me of the Old Streets of Detroit.  Milwaukee's are much more extensive, although they do not have the different type of streets (stone, logs, etc.)  that Detroit's does.  I was still checking out the dinosaur area when the museum closed for the day.  I then headed to "Who's on Third" sports bar a mile away.  Took advantage of the 1/2 off chicken tender Happy hour special.  They also had a free shuttle to the game.  There were not many of us on the bus.  Jules, from England, also was travelling by himself and did not yet have a ticket.  I asked if anyone had any extras they had for sale.  Turns out a couple of guys, said they had been given some free tickets, and 2 people had canceled out on them.  They gave Jules and I each a ticket.  They confirmed what Phil had suggested, get in the park, and then try to move around for a better seat.  Because the others were smokers, we separated and agreed to try to meet up at a certain section.  I did not meet back up with them until the bus ride back to the bar.  I ended up sitting in row 17 between the Brewers dugout and 3rd base.  I found a guy in section sitting by himself, and moved over to join him, and talked baseball, the stadium and the game, for a few innings.  In comparison to Tuesday nite's game, Milwaukee's starter, threw an excellent game.  Getting there, only a few minutes before the game, being by myself, and not sitting where I was supposed to, I did not move around and check out the stadium much.  The roof was closed.  I did not even realize the stadium had a roof.  The temp did drop, and by game's end, I was wearing my sweatshirt.  I appreciated it, with the upcoming heat wave expected.  Made it to the car and an hour later at the Red Roof Inn in Madison.  Today I will be off to La Crosse, WI to check it out, on the way to meeting up with Nick Pelletier in Lakeville, MN.  Possible we will go to the Twins game tonite, instead of tomorrow, due to potential weather and ticket availability.  This would mean not seeing the Red Sox and fireworks tomorrow and not watching the Stanley Cup on TV tonite.  We will see.  I am also reviewing the weather reports and itinerary.  I think I am going to drop the Peoria game and head to Springfield on Sunday and check out some Lincoln historical sites.  2 days in, and I am having a blast. 

1 comment: