Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Cardinals

As a Tigers fan, I know a lot of passionate fans.  I was amazed at the crowd in St. Louis last nite.  Virtually everyone wore Cardinals gear.  This was for a mid-season inter-league game against the Astros.  Game time temp was over 90 degrees, but these fans were out there in droves.  Houston took the game, with former Tiger Doug Fister pitching his usual excellent and speedy game.  He also contributed a sacrifice bunt and a 2 rbi hit.  I was rooting for the Cards, but always liked Fister when he was with the Tigers.
Kent Goto and Aaron Shirley joined me for the game.  Aaron spent the day with me as we went to a card shop, Eagle Coin & Stamp, on the way into St. Louis.  We had to wait for the card guy, but it was worth the wait.  I picked up a near set (63 of 69) 1975 1942-46 TCMA St. Louis Cardinals for $10, a Sweep Caporal pin, some pencil clips, including Ty Cobb, a few unidentified cards (I hope they are cards???), 1965 Chicago Bears caps, a 1964 Bazooka Mays, a few other Bazookas, and a few other items.   WOW.  I am having great success at card shops, and had not planned on that at all for this trip.  Forget the National.   I have now been to 5 card shops and got something on my lists at all of them.   Kent also informed me of the "best card shop in St. Louis area" which is located on my way out of town.  I will likely fit that in. 
After the card shop Aaron and went to the St. Louis Science Center.  while geared at kids, it was highly entertaining.  When 2 OBCers are together, our average age is 12, so we fit right in. 
  Ever feel inadequate?  I just do not measure up to the world's largest man.  He was almost 9 feet tall!!! 
  Get away from my food.  Good animatronics, as the dino growled and moved his arms at me.  Must be a precursor to alligators, as he is never going to grab the check with those arms.
  Our seats may have been in the nose bleed section, but what a view.  Reminds me a little of Pittsburgh having the bridge in the background.  This has the Arch. 
  Aaron, Kent and I.  Pictures had to wait until we finished our food.  I got a BBQ brisket basket, with the nationally distributed, but local legendary, Bob's Sauce.  It goes on everything.  Based upon stadium pricing, this was a bargain for how much meat they piled on the sandwich.
  Stan the Man. 

I am 4 for 4 in getting the Major League Passport stamp on scorecards.  Every place has been very accommodating about it.  A great souveneir that does not cost anything.  Guest relations and/or in park stores usually have a stamp with the ballpark name and date and will stamp whatever you ask them to.  Proof of your attendance at the game that day.  I would imagine this is something to especially keep in mind if you ever go to a historic game (milestone, no-hitter, World Series, etc.).  St. Louis is another city that needs to change the layout of their scorecards.  I plan on contacting major league baseball when I am done and telling them the pros and cons of the various scorecards and the best layouts.  St. Louis fell short in no room for subs, even pitchers.  No place for pitching info.  No column even for RBI's.  Lowest scorecard rating so far.

Excellent day.  Exactly how I imagined the trip.  Some tourist stuff I enjoyed, followed by seeing OBCers at a ballgame.  Hot day, but beat the heat. 
Today, I hope to see a couple of Halls of Fame.  The Bowlers Hall of Fame with Kent, who regularly bowls in tournaments, so I am looking forward to his knowledge and insight, followed by the World Chess Hall of Fame.  Then heading out of town towards Kansas City.




2 comments: