Sunday, July 17, 2016

So long California

My last full day in California was spent back in Orange County 1 1/2 hours from John's house.  First stop was to meet up with a former client, who became a friend, Ahmad Youngblood.  Again I forgot to take a picture of us.  Ahmad took me to a Mediterranean restaurant where I tried a new schwarma wrap that included my favorite garlic sauces and chicken.  This was a tell them what you want place, and among the choices were corn and carrots that got thrown in.  I also ordered a side of rice that I stuffed in there.  Delicious. 
We chatted for 2 hours about business, life, sports and the like.  It was great to finally meet in person.  Ahmad's youngest daughter is going to school 7 hours away and he lamented about his concerns.  His office is only 3 miles from Chapman University and he said he would be happy to check in on Josh for Abby and I.  A big relief to us.  With relatives of mine only an hour or so away, Josh will probably feel more smothered than he would if he stayed at home to go to school!
After lunch I went back to the campus area and walked the business district a few blocks away.  I have never seen so many different antique stores in such a small area.  I think I counted 22 in a 3 block radius.
I then found a card shop about 5 miles away, that was walking distance to Anaheim Stadium.  The shop was not much into cards and was more for selling memorabilia, autographs and supplies.   I did find a couple 1966 high number stars that Rocky will get first crack at or may dealer scum at the National.  He also had 3 cards (2 different) from a set I was not familiar with.  OBC to the rescue as I called David Fallen.  He had to research these west coast minor league cards.  He then called me back.  1950 Sunbeam Stockton Ports Class C minor league cards.  Really nice shape and after some haggling, I got them.  Add in a pair of 1948 Sports Thrills card in great shape and an uncracked 1971 Kellogg's Pete Rose variation I needed, and it turned out to be a good size purchase.  Shortly before I left, John texted me that he and Raleigh could not join me for the game.  I ended up keeping my car in the office center parking lot of the store and walked to the game.
  Even with my big head, this cap may be a bit large.
  Last time I posted a pic of Gene Autry he was in the Pro Rodeo HOF.
  One reason the Angels may not be competitive is they are so far behind the times.  They had a disco band playing (it was 70s nite at the park).
  Another reason may be they are a Mickey Mouse operation (Disney Land is close by.  The Tigers also have a Mickey statue at Comerica).
  The park is one of the older ones in baseball as they are celebrating their 50th year there.  I liked the park, especially the waterfall in centerfield.  I wonder if that is where KC got the idea???
  Not bad a seat.
  It was giveaway nite and I got a free Rally Monkey!  A very in demand item for Angels fans.
  My collecting friends will be laughing at trying to sell 1989 Topps Baseball packs for $1 each or 6 for $5 a the team gift store.  No collector wants these at a dime a piece.  Many would not accept them if given to them for free.
  The Stamper clan.  Tommy, far right has the funniest dog tail I ever saw.  He wags it similar to a metronome.  Cocoa, whom I kept calling Chloe, is a scaredy dog.  He does not like to be petted as he was abused as a pup and is still afraid of people.  He did come up to me a few times by the time I left, but still would not let me touch him with my hand.  John did a great job picking him up for this photo.
A HUGE thanks to John and Karyn for all their hospitality while I was in the LA area.  A couple of great grilled dinners, accompanying me to the Dodgers and then the All Star festivities in San Diego was above and beyond. 










1 comment: