Tuesday, July 12, 2016

July 11

There were a number of titles for this post I thought about.  This was my grandmother's (mother's mother) birthday, and she would have been 107 yesterday, had she not passed away 8 years ago, just after her 99th birthday party.  So while this day may mean free Slurpees to many (I was reminded of this and as I was passing a 7/11 stopped in for birthday cake Slurpee (not my fav, but only flavor they had), it is a reflexive day for me.
Being on this trip, there were things to do, places to go, etc.  I was headed to the La Brea Tar Pits, when I saw a sign for the Getty Museum an exit earlier.  I got off and headed to the Getty when I realized they were closed on Monday's.  Back to the Tar Pits for me.  My Science Center membership got me in to museum free again.  Truly a good decision on my part to get that membership. 
To get to the Tar Pits from the Getty, I had to drive down Wilshire Blvd.  The streets I crossed were all familiar names, from TV, etc.  I even crossed Rodeo Dr, with Tiffany's on the corner.  Not quite just beautiful people, but you could smell the money.

 The classic photo of the first tar pit.
  I always have believed in evolution but all these photos of me with animals I think proves the point.

After the La Brea Museum, I headed to Anaheim.  I planned on going to the Los Angeles Kiss Arena Football game.  They play in the Honda Center, where the Anaheim Ducks hockey team plays.  This is less than 5 miles from Chapman University, which is where Abby's son Josh is starting this fall.  Neither josh, nor Abby, have ever been to the campus.  I went and checked it out.   Beautiful campus
  I actually talked to a recent graduate and her boyfriend and they had nothing but great things to say about the school.  While it may only be 10 miles to Disneyland, The Los Angeles Angels, etc., it is in a very quiet residential neighborhood, with tree lined streets. An idyllic setting.
  After leaving Chapman, I headed to the football game.  I had a very narrow miss of a car accident when a woman decided to make a U-turn without looking.  I still do not know how we avoided hitting each other.  I actually pulled off and got out of my car to see if there was any damage and to settle my nerves.  I scalped a ticket, which was in the front row!  I was 1 yard into the end zone.  I later found out the season ticket price is $125 per ticket per game for front row seats.  I got mine for $8 after haggling with the scalper.  Fans get to keep balls that go into the stands.  On successive plays a guy in the row behind me and 6 seats to my left caught one.  The next play a guy 4 seats to my right got one.  I had no one 3 seats to either side. 
  Tampa Bay scored a touchdown, although they ended up getting blown out.  The guy celebrating, #72 is Anthony Parker who went to Western Michigan in Kalamazoo.  Both my sister Jill, and Abby, went to Kalamazoo College.  I got Parker to autograph my program for me.
  It was first responder nite at the game.  As part of the promotion they asked fans to bring teddy bears to donate to local charities.  They did a teddy bear toss onto the field.  Here are a few of the cheerleaders and a first responder in the background (hmm, I wonder why the photo is more of the cheerleaders???), collecting some of the hundreds of teddy bears.  Well done fans!
  As stated my seat was a yard into the end zone.  Here is a kickoff from the goal line (the field is only 50 yards so all kickoffs are from the goal line) by the Kiss after a touchdown.  At one point there was a play near my seat.  I stood up to see if I could catch the football.  I did actually get a finger tip on it, just as the defensive back smacked the wide receiver over the boards and they both plowed into me and knocked me into the arm rest.  Both the wide receiver and later one of the officials stop by to ask me if I was OK.  After the game, I ended up getting an ice bag from first aid for my back.  I am still stiff this morning, but not nearly in as much discomfort as last nite.  My bigger regret is that I did not end up with a football.  They should have given me one, just for the hit I took.
  The game had become a blowout.  There was a touchdown scored in the last minute of the game.  Not sure what started it, but kitty corner to us, a fight broke out between the players.  Multiple fights actually.  They ended up near the stands, and some fans also starting swinging away.  First they ejected the fan.  They then ejected so many players they called the game.  Smart move, as the victory was not it doubt and only a bigger fight could have happened.  I may have been to an Arena Football game in Detroit years ago when they had a team.  If I did, the seats were nothing like I had last nite.  Other than the back injury it was fantastic!  Definitely got my money's worth and then some.
I will take it easy today and rest the back.






2 comments:

  1. Hope your back gets better soon Mike!

    The KISS (arena team) ownership group includes KISS (rock band) members Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley.

    I went to a fight once, and a hockey game broke out...........

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are losing your haggling touch, Mike. I remember when scalpers used to pay you to take tickets off their hands....

    ReplyDelete