Monday, July 25, 2016

I'll remember the Alamo

I had driven about 1/2 way from Carlsbad Caverns to the Alamo on Friday nite.  A few hours later I was at the Alamo.  
  One of many monuments in town.
  The Church inside the Alamo.  There are many rules, such as no photos inside any buildings.  Men are to remove their hats as a symbol of respect. 
  There are some outside exhibits.  A lot was made of the make up of those that fought and died at the Alamo.  The number of people who were from other countries.  Of course the US was represented, with many different states, but many from Europe.  Also the Tejanos who were living in the Texas area of Mexico.  The courage of the men who fought and died for their freedom is quite symbolic of the American spirit and was well conveyed.  This met my high expectations as to the feeling I would have there.
  The remains of many were moved to a nearby Church.
Sums it up.

On a totally different note.  On my mile walk back to my car (of course I parked in the opposite direction of the church), I saw both the famous San Antonio River Walk.  I wish Detroit had something like this.  It was packed.  I also saw the following.
  Just another day at the office.  Power washing windows on a Saturday where temps climbed close to 100.  Wow!  He had to be at least 25 floors up.
I finished the day by driving 3 hours to see Steve Rittenberg. I drove straight through and Steve ended up joining me while I had dinner a couple miles from his apartment.  It as great to see Steve, as he is going through a very tough time.  His wife Gina has been hospitalized for a few months and is still in ICU.  I was glad to be able to give him a friend to hang with for a bit.







3 comments:

  1. Former San Antonio District Attorney Susan Reed once issued a press release titled “Don’t Whizz on the Alamo.” It’s made from limestone and urine is highly corrosive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In 1982, Ozzy Osbourne urinated on the Alamo shrine, forcing the city council to ban the metal head from San Antonio.
    Fact of Fiction?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a ten year ban, which Mr. Osbourne served, and it was enough to instill a ton of fear when Ozzy's son, Jack, wanted to visit the Alamo for their reality show that they were making. Ozzy was scared that people were going to remember and make him pay! They remembered indeed, and huge crowds turned out for the visit, which the elder Mr. Osbourne used as a way to apologize for his indiscretion.

    I never followed up to learn if the people of San Antonio accepted his apology to kiss and make up.

    ReplyDelete