Wednesday, July 13, 2016

1/2 way mark

Yesterday was day 36 of the planned 72 day trip, so officially 1/2 done.  It was a true R&R day.  I would not say I hit a wall, I would say that I got hit by 2 football players.  The back is still sore, so I took it easy.  Aside from watching the All Star Game, my only trek was to a cemetery!  Now I am not saying I am hurting so bad I felt like I was going to die.  There are 2 Forest Lawn Cemeteries in the area, one in LA and the other in Glendale.  The one in LA has numerous celebrerties buried there.  The one in Glendale has a religious bent, with huge murals of the Last Supper and the Crucifixion.  They also have hundreds of statues.  So of course, I went to the one in Glendale.  Not that I had ever done this at a cemetery before, but I had stopped off at a market and picked up some lunch meat and fruit.  At the cemetery I found a nice shaded area, pulled out my lawn chair and had lunch.  It was extremely peaceful.  Forest Lawn prohibits all photography inside their buildings.  I only took 4 photos the whole day.
  The building housing the painting of the Crucifixion.
  This is just one of the hundreds of statues.
  Many statues are also inside the mausoleums.  Some are for sale to be placed by the interred.  I found this an odd marketing style.  At least they did not post the prices on them.
  A view of the city from the cemetery.

With the time of the trip 1/2 done, I have been to 11 of the 23 major league parks on the itinerary.   2 of the 12 games (I went to 2 Kansas City games), I went by muself.  Unless folks step up, I will attend more games by myself on the 2nd 1/2 of the trip.   The oddity, it is NY that I am not finding anyone to go to the games with me.  Prices, timing, my Midwest personality???  I have only gone just over 6000 of the 15,000 miles anticipated.  That means 50% more driving in the 2nd half of the trip!  I should also see a lot more OBCers on the 2nd 1/2 of the trip, without even counting the National card show.  Many are guys I have never met in person before. 
Today I am getting together with Joshua Levine, another OBCer, whom I have never met in person before.  Card shops, a review of his collection and a possible card show.  My kind of day.  Tomorrow, I am headed back to the City of Orange to meet up with a former client, whom I have never met in  person before.  Chapman University is in Orange, so I will likely do further reconnaissance for Josh (and Abby).

While a little late, I finally got "approved" to join Ballpark Chasers.  A group of folks who are trying to go to all the major league parks.  There are a lot of us out there with this goal.  I am hoping I can get some tips on tickets, where to sit, things to see at the ballparks and parking.  The cost of parking has been my biggest surprise on this trip.  I am spoiled in Detroit, since I know where to park safely for free.  Parking has been as much as $30 (San Diego) and common $20 at some parks.  I had parking and tolls in the budget, but this is one area I will go over budget on the trip.  Many (most) of the tourist things I do also are in downtowns and have parking charges.  Fortunately, I am at or below in all other budgeted areas, except for baseball cards:).



2 comments:

  1. You picked a very popular cemetery to visit. I hear that people are dying to get in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you opened up your lawn chair in the middle of this cemetery and enjoyed a turkey sandwich? Good Times BRO!

    ReplyDelete