Friday, July 15, 2016

Griffith Observatory

I spent most of the day yesterday at the Griffith Observatory and Griffith Park.  This is a HUGE park in LA, and contains the famous Griffith Observatory. 
  In the background is the famous Hollywood sign (over my left shoulder).  Similar to the Seattle Space Needle, you can see for miles, but for all the smog and fog.
  Some of history's greatest astronomers and thinkers.  I was asked to stand there due to the oversite of my not being included on the monument itself.
  Not actually an Aztec calendar.  It is the Aztec signs they used.  Very impressive in person.
  They had various facts on all the planets and many stars, etc.  There was a scale by each planet which told you, due to the varying gravitational pulls, what your approximate weight is on each planet.  On Jupiter, due to its huge size, I would weigh over 400 pounds.  I like the Pluto diet.  My weight is about 3 pounds.  I am a bit emaciated, so I splurged on ice cream after dinner last nite.
  Speaking of dinner.  I was able to meet up with my cousins, Harvey & Esther for dinner.  The restaurant was their fav Italian restaurant where they are friends with the owner.  It was less than 4 miles from where I am staying.  Fantastic food (I had the swordfish, hmm) and better company!
Today is my last full day in CA. Seeing a former customer for lunch and then the Angels game tonite, before heading to Las Vegas/Henderson, NV.  It may be a couple days before I get a chance to blog again.






4 comments:

  1. Astronomers Monument, a concrete outdoor sculpture on the front lawn pays tribute to six of the greatest astronomers of all time:

    Hipparchus (190BC-120BC): Considered the greatest ancient astronomer, and the first to model the motion of the sun and moon.

    Copernicus (1473-1593): Formulated the first model that placed the sun at the center of the universe (rather than the earth).

    Galileo: (1564-1642): the “Father of Astronomy” the “Father of Science” and the “Father of Modern Physics”.

    Kepler (1571-1630): Best known for his laws of planetary motion.

    Newton (1642-1727): Formulated the laws of motion and universal gravitation.

    Herschel (1738-1822) constructed the first large telescope, and on March 13 1781 discovered that Uranus was a planet not a star.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gee, Galileo had a lot of smart kids.

      Delete
    2. Also, Copernicus life dates: 1473–1543. But otherwise, astronomy is (in my opinion) one of the most endlessly fascinating subjects. Just look up, for goodness' sake!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete