Thursday, July 14, 2016

Act 2 Day 1

The 2nd 1/2 of the trip was a laid back day.  I was still pretty sore from the hit the other day.  Fortunately, this morning, I am feeling a lit better and starting to be able to move around again.  Still sore, but at least not in pain anymore.  The day was brightened by getting a chance to meet another OBCer for the first time in person.  Joshua Levine licked me up and took me to a couple of card stores. 
The first store was an old fav of Joshua's, that he does not get to much anymore.  I found a few great surprises there.  First I found a 1955 Tigers Yearbook.  It had some pen scribbling on the cover and a few pictures inside and the cover was severed at the spine and no longer attached to the book.  This is the first year the Tigers ever issued a Yearbook that I am aware of, and I did not already have it.  Including some Twinkies cards and a sked that Joshua wanted I got the book and cards for $10!  They also had an older Hockey card on consignment, so no dealing on that one.  It just happened it was the tough (OK, somewhat rare) 1966 Topps printed in US version.  The consignor likely did not know this was a rare test issue.  While I have completed the entire regular Topps Hockey run, I only have 5 different of this test issue, to give you an idea as to scarcity.  Who was the card, a dupe for me of GORDIE HOWE!!!  The 2nd most valuable card in the set, after Bobby Orr's rookie card.  This may be my find of the trip so far.
The 2nd store was not much.  They almost did not want us to look into boxes and told us we would not find anything.  Well 1 5000 count box was labelled Phillies, which Joshua collects enthusiastically (read that as obsessively).  They finally dug I tout from under the other boxes and he ended up buying the entire 5000 count box (it was not full, likely only had 4000 cards).  Joshua told me it had a few tough minor league and Star Co sets in there. 
Meanwhile, in a junk box, I found some early 1980s cards that were on my wantlist and ended up knocking off 3 sets, plus picked up some 1969 Topps Stamps Albums (most of which John Stamper needed) and a few Fleer BB Stadium Fact cards from 1968-70, that I still do not have a checklist for. 
Then it was back to Joshua's to see part of his T-205 collection (he may have as many T-205s as I do prewar cards), and then some of his best Phillies stuff.  I was able to identify most, but not all of the issues.  Amazing collection!
HIs wife Tiffany came home with their 11 month old Spencer.  A very nice family.
I did forget to get any photos of Joshua or the family.  My bad.
Back to John's and he and Karyn made another delicious homecook meal.
Today, I will be able to go back to playing tourist and then meet up with some cousins for dinner. I have not seen Harvey and Esther in a few decades.
I also heard from Doug and he and his wife will be able to join me for the Rangers game a week from Monday.  It will be good to see Doug again.

2 comments:

  1. "Joshua Levine licked me up" which may explain why there are no photos of Joshua. It can't be a typo because Mike never makes mistakes in his blog.

    ReplyDelete