Monday, July 4, 2016

A new month

Left Tacoma to head towards Fremont, CA.  It is about a 13+ hour drive, so the plan is to get as far as I can by driving for a couple hours, stop and do something, drive a couple hours, stop and do something, drive a couple hours and stop for the nite.  Absolutely nothing planned for the day.  When I finally stopped for brunch/lunch, I pulled out my tour book to see what might be 2-3 hours down the road for my next stop.  There is a science center on the University of Oregon campus in Eugene.  My science membership, would get me in for free.  Sounds good, but there is a note about needing a parking permit.  I called the museum and they told me the parking lot was closed for the week due to the Olympic Track & Field trials being held there this week.  Olympic Trials???  Immediately starting checking this out and found out the Opening Ceremonies were to start at 3:00.  Tickets were $68.  I was not sure I could get there, park, get to the box office, stadium, and in (lots of security), in time to make it.  I decided to head down the road, and make a last minute decision as to whether to go or not.  After speaking with my nephew Josh, who commented, "When will you ever have the opportunity to go an Olympic Trials again?", I decided to go for it.  Ended up parking at Autzen Stadium where the Oregon Ducks Football team plays.  Shuttle over to the track & field complex.  I was checking around to see if anyone had an extra ticket on the shuttle, with no luck.  I was looking for the box office   when I saw a scalper.  He had 2 full sets of tickets for the week.  He ended up selling me 1 ticket just for Saturday for $20!  Finally got through security and sat down at 3:25.  Asked the person next to me what I missed and she said the first car of the ceremony was right in front of us.  I had not missed anything.  Had a great time, although it was extremely hot.  A couple of the runners actually collapsed on the track during the men's 10,000 meter, which was the last event of the day. 
I am having trouble getting the pictures to post at the moment.  Great time at Eugene.  Drove until I was too tired and spent the nite in Grant's Pass, OR.  Tomorrow onto Frement, CA for almost a week.

2 comments:

  1. That's so cool you didn't even plan to attend the Olympic Trials. Great report and be safe Mike!
    Guru

    ReplyDelete