Monday, August 1, 2016

On to Louisiana

I spent most of Tuesday driving from Texas to Louisiana.  It finally rained some while I was driving.  I had the wipers on for about 20 minutes, bringing the total to almost 30 minutes for the whole trip.  Another interesting note of this leg of the trip is that I ran into the worst traffic I have experienced so far.  Worse than Chicago and LA, this was trying to get through Baton Rouge to Denham Springs to meet up with Brandon Wax.  Brandon had me meet him for dinner at Walk-Ons.  Voted best sports bar by ESPN, and there are multiple locations, as they also have 1 in New Orleans.

  The stop on the way to Denham Springs was the Science Center in Shreveport.  A paddle boat exhibit in the museum.
  A cotton gin exhibit brought even more southern feel to the museum.  Very well done. 

I really enjoyed meeting Brandon for the first time in person.  Great conversation and we got to see part of the Tigers v Red Sox game.  My Tigers beat his Red Sox.  I finished up the day by driving down to Slidell, LA to stay with Father Pat.





1 comment:

  1. A cotton gin is a machine that quickly and easily separates cotton fibers from their seeds, allowing for much greater productivity than manual cotton separation. Invented in 1793.
    While it was true that the cotton gin reduced the labor of removing seeds, it did not reduce the need for slaves to grow and pick the cotton. In fact, the opposite occurred. Cotton growing became so profitable for the planters that it greatly increased their demand for both land and slave labor.

    ReplyDelete