Monday, August 1, 2016

Decision to make

As I left Tallahassee to head to Tampa, I had to take I-10 east some more (I believe I may have driven about 1000 miles or more on I-10 heading East from Phoenix, even with the detours to Carlsbad Caverns, the Alamo, Houston, Arlington and Baton Rouge) to I-75.  If I turned right, heading south, I go to Tampa, or I could turn left, heading north, and be home to Oak Park in 1010 miles.  I briefly debated heading north, as the trip has been looonnnggg.  The waffling probably had something to do with the extra driving the day before.  The motel waffles in Tallahassee gave me renewed energy to head south to Tampa. 
  I stopped at Fort Dade Park.  This was extremely well done in showing the bravery of the military and yet paid homage to how the Indians were disrespected and forced to fight for themselves.  This park is the sight of a battle where the Americans were completely wiped out (3 wounded men survived to tell the story) by the Seminoles, who just wanted peace and not be forced to relocate from Florida to Oklahoma.  Who wouldn't fight to avoid OK???

  I could not spend as much time there as I wanted as I had to get to Tampa for the game.
  The marker for Major Dade.

  I met up with Bob D'Angelo at the Tampa game.  Here we are with the famous Casey at the Bat a the Ted Williams Hitters Hall of Fame they have at the Stadium.  Some very strange choices for the inductees.  Guys such as Alan Trammell and Cecil Fielder are in.  Seem like there should be more candidates than them. 
  Ty Cobb and I.
  Dwight Gooden was selling autographs at the game.

  Go fish!
  Smile!  You may be on deck.  Actually this is a couple of batting weights and a bat that just happen to make it look like a smiley face.  I thought this was a great photo.
  A view of Tropicana Field after the game. 

It was great to meet Bob D'Angelo in person.  We have communicated with each other for about 15 years and had never met before.  The visit was way to short, as we met at the ballpark and went our separate ways afterwards.

I then drove south to Sarasota, arriving at Rob Richardson and Kim's condo around 11:30 at nite.  Of course we stayed up chatting until we were all ready to fall asleep in mid-sentence.   In the morning Rob made us a HUGE breakfast that even I could not finish it all.  meanwhile Kim helped me fix a bug with uploading the pictures from my phone.  I spent Saturday morning with Rob and Kim before heading to the Miami Marlins game.










1 comment:

  1. Is Ted Williams' cryogenically frozen head a featured display at the Ted Williams Hitters Hall of Fame?
    Guru

    ReplyDelete