Monday, August 1, 2016

New Orleans

When I arrived Tuesday nite, Father Pat Wattigny and I stayed up talking for a couple hours.  He was kind enough to arrange for me to stay at the Rectory for a couple of nites.  It sounded like the start of a joke, "3 Priests and a Jew...".  They have recently remodeled and put an addition on as they are expecting a visit from the archbishop soon.  I got to stay in the room set up for him. 
Pat after some morning meetings was able to then give me a tour of New Orleans. 
  Bourbon Street.  You have not lived until you have seen bourbon Street with a Priest.
  Pat explained they have to put the caskets above ground due to the water table causing caskets to not stay buried. 
  Pat and I spent most of the afternoon at the WWII Museum.  Very moving and we probably could have spent a few more hours there, had they not kicked us out at closing time.  A flag flown during WWII.
  A WWII jeep.
  Statue of Robert E. Lee that can be seen from the WWII Museum.  Pat was telling me there is a proposal to remove all the statues dedicated to the Confederacy.  I am not sure how I feel about that.  The irony about this particular statue is it was specifically faced north to show the unity with the victorious north. 

Pat and I then made our way to the New Orleans Zephyrs minor league game.
  Likely the smallest crowd for a professional game I have ever attended.  Likely no more than 350 people.
  The Zephyr mascot.
  Father Pat back ready for work.

Tremendous thanks to Pat for showing me such a great time in NO, and the hospitality.  I may just need to come back again.









2 comments:

  1. I just spent the last ten minutes google searching for a joke that begins with "three priests and a jew".......I got nothing!
    Guru

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got nothing, too, for eyes, anyway, and I'm sure they have deceived me. So, I want to know what is it that you and Pat are standing on in that picture at the Zephyrs game? Is that the actual stadium steps in the isle and are they some sort of concrete, like many (Most?) stadiums? These failing eyes again, but to me it looks like you are standing on some sort of, like an almost see through plastic sheeting, that is covering the steps, and with a whole couple dozen folks in the joint, I'd be surprised if they thought you guys were going to spill that much food and beverage that they needed to cover everything.

    ReplyDelete